With all the hoopla over the Kavanaugh hearings, you may have missed a very important and poignant anniversary pass by quietly at the beginning of this week.

It has officially been one year since the horrific massacre that took place in Las Vegas on October 1st, 2017 in which 58 people were killed and hundreds injured while attending a country music festival on the strip.

Following the tragedy which shook our nation to the core, one Illinois man, Greg Zanis, a carpenter by trade, traveled to Vegas to construct wooden crosses to honor each of the fallen, which he placed below the iconic “Welcome to Las Vegas” sign.

take our poll - story continues below

What is your top alternative to Facebook? - FIXED

  • What is your top alternative to Facebook?  

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Completing this poll grants you access to The Political Cowboy updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Trending: WATCH: Comedian JP Sears Hilariously Explains “Baby It’s Cold Outside” Outrage

Western Journal reports that while the original crosses have been moved to the Clark County Museum for display, Zanis made a return trip to Vegas to pay his respects on the anniversary of the shooting.

And he brought another set of crosses with him.

Last year, Greg Zanis with Crosses For Losses, made 58 handmade crosses for those that were lost on 1 October. These…

Posted by Combined Communications Center on Sunday, September 30, 2018

“It’s hard because she should be standing right here,” said Michael Warino, brother of victim Heather Alvarado.

“They should all be standing right here, not just these crosses. They should all be standing here. It’s hard to see this,” he added.

Zanis agrees that the sight is heart-wrenching to see. As he places the crosses at the memorial site, he said it’s all he can do not to cry.

Zanis wants the Las Vegas community to know that they are remembered, that each name on the cross is important.

“Just doing it for the families to show that we do care,” Zanis told KVVU-TV. “It’s been a year and just imagine what a family’s gone through.”

It’s nice to know that amid all the noise of our divided nation, there are people who are still taking the time to think of the suffering people deeply touched by incidents that get hyped up, politicized, and then dropped by the news media.

We commend Zanis for the care and compassion he is showing these families, and keep the families of the victims in our prayers this week as they relive that awful day and honor the memories of their lost loved ones.

Crosses return to Welcome sign

ICYMI: Fifty-eight crosses made by Greg Zanis returned to the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign today, honoring the lives lost on 1 October. Faith Tanner explains why.Details: https://bit.ly/2zDy9Pk

Posted by FOX5 Las Vegas on Friday, September 28, 2018

 

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please hover over that comment, click the ∨ icon, and mark it as spam. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.