Trump Comes Out And Talks About Calling Off Iran Strike At Last Second
Late into the night Thursday, the New York Times published a piece that was anonymously sourced, that left folks shocked beyond measure, a report that stated Trump had approved a military strike against the country of Iran in response to the country shooting down one of our drones, and then pulled the plug on it at the last second.
Well, Trump is now speaking out about the whole thing, and what he had to say about it all is just as equally shocking as the report itself. Check this out.
The Daily Wire reports:
“Planes were in the air and ships were in position, but no missiles had been fired when word came to stand down, the official said,” the Times reported. The Associated Press has since reported that the U.S. “abruptly called off preparations for a military strike against Iran.”
Friday morning, Trump issued his first public statement about Iran since the reports. In a series of tweets, Trump took aim at the Obama administration’s “terrible deal with Iran,” defended his decision to pull out of Obama’s much-maligned Iran deal, and explained his rationale for pulling back on the strike.
“President Obama made a desperate and terrible deal with Iran — Gave them 150 Billion Dollars plus I.8 Billion Dollars in CASH!” Trump wrote in a series of posts. “Iran was in big trouble and he bailed them out. Gave them a free path to Nuclear Weapons, and SOON. Instead of saying thank you, Iran yelled Death to America. I terminated deal, which was not even ratified by Congress, and imposed strong sanctions. They are a much weakened nation today than at the beginning of my Presidency, when they were causing major problems throughout the Middle East. Now they are Bust!”
The president then specifically addressed the claims in the reports on the canceled strike. “On Monday they shot down an unmanned drone flying in International Waters,” Trump wrote. “We were cocked & loaded to retaliate last night on 3 different sights when I asked, how many will die. 150 people, sir, was the answer from a General. 10 minutes before the strike I stopped it, not proportionate to shooting down an unmanned drone.”
“I am in no hurry, our Military is rebuilt, new, and ready to go, by far the best in the world,” he continued. “Sanctions are biting & more added last night. Iran can NEVER have Nuclear Weapons, not against the USA, and not against the WORLD!”
After the initial report was published, Reuters stated that Iranian officials said Trump warned them of impending strikes, but then called for talks between the two countries, making it clear he didn’t want war with the country. Whether or not these talks will happen is up to the Ayatollah Khamenei.
So, it seems the president made the right call by taking this sort of action and made a well measured decision not to use excessive force when it was necessary. He also made the right call in making it clear he didn’t want war with Iran. This was a clear show of muscle, to let Iran know we mean business.
Not only did Trump seem to handle this well, it seems the folks he has around him are giving him sound advice, which is also a great relief. Let’s hope this situation gets resolved without bloodshed.