Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is the gift to conservatives that just keeps on giving. She first caught our attention when she upset a stalwart Democrat who was the third highest member of the party in House leadership.
Then, she proceeded to…talk.
And talk. And talk.
Each absolutely ignorant and laughable comment more hilarious than the last.
A quick recap on her greatest hits:
- She claimed Israel was occupying Palestine, then upon realizing it probably wasn’t an actual occupation had to admit she had no idea what she was talking about.
- She was asked to differentiate between socialism and Democratic socialism and demonstrated that she simply cannot.
- She said unemployment was low because people have two jobs.
- She thought a hilarious parody video using clips of a trainwreck interview she’d done was actually a deliberate attempt to deceive voters.
Now, as someone who covers the news, I do try not to report on literally every silly thing this woman says, but she’s making it really hard not to keep coming back to her, particularly with this latest disastrous tweet:
The GOP is:
– weak on fighting for working class Americans
– weak on crime
– weak on equal rights
– weak on national security
– weak on rejecting racism
– weak on moral courage
– weak on family values
So yeah, I’d say this a representative choice of their values. https://t.co/7Lc9QJGv0M
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Ocasio2018) July 26, 2018
You walked right into this one.
The Daily Wire’s Ryan Saavedra wrote a lengthy refute of just how very wrong Ocasio-Cortez’s statement is, which I’ll summarize:
For the claim that the GOP is “weak on fighting for working-class Americans”, Saavedra references the positive effects of Trump’s tariffs on the American economy, the dramatic tax cuts that have benefitted 80% of Americans, and the booming manufacturing industry under Trump’s policies. I will also add that these are the things Trump one on precisely to help the American working class.
“Keep in mind that this statement is coming from an admitted socialist who believes in taxing citizens to pay for costly government programs that end up harming the economy,” Saavedra says.
Next, the claim that the GOP is “weak on crime”, to which I say….is she high?
The GOP has repeatedly been bashed for being too tough on crime, and Ocasio-Cortez herself has called for open borders and the abolishment of ICE.
Saavedra offers more proof:
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions ordered federal prosecutors to seek the “most serious” charges and harshest sentences against criminals involved in the drug trade.
- The Trump administration announced a “zero-tolerance” policy cracking down on illegal immigration.
- The Trump administration brought more cases against violent criminals in 2017 than in any other year in decades.
- The Trump administration is examining a new policy that would allow the U.S. government to make drug dealers eligible for the death penalty.
So…yeah. Totally absurd statement.
The following claim is even more laughable: that the GOP is “weak on national security”. How tough is the GOP on national security? Let me count the ways…
This is perhaps the most absurd claim the Democratic candidate made in the tweet.
The Trump administration threw out the Iran deal because it was not tough enough, has worked to denuclearize North Korea, has implemented a travel ban on nations that are breeding grounds for terrorism, wants to build a wall on the Southern Border to stop illegal entry into the U.S., and has largely defeated ISIS.
As for “the GOP is weak on moral courage” and “weak on family values”? Do I even need to refute these absurd claims?
It’s terribly unoriginal to say that the GOP is “weak on rejecting racism” not to mention absolutely ridiculous considering they were the party of abolition and Civil Rights. Saavedra also points to Ted Cruz’s recent disgust at an open Nazi who won a GOP nomination in a Congressional race:
This is horrific. An avowed Nazi running for Congress. To the good people of Illinois, you have two reasonable choices: write in another candidate, or vote for the Democrat. This bigoted fool should receive ZERO votes. https://t.co/9WYlvCMKaF
— Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) June 29, 2018
“Meanwhile, many in Ocasio-Cortez’s party have embraced Hitler-lover, racist, and anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan. The Democratic Party also promotes a divisive form of identity politics,” Saavedra points out.
“As for Ocasio-Cortez, the best thing for the electoral chances of the GOP is for her to keep talking and tweeting,” he concludes.