Less and Less Freedom for “Moore”!
Today, October 4, in a Facebook message, Michael Moore, the documentary filmmaker and left-wing activist proposed a new amendment to the constitution that would guarantee that “states can have State militias (a.k.a. State National Guards which are made up of citizen-soldiers who are called upon in times of natural disasters or other State emergencies).” It would also allow “individuals to use guns for sport and gathering food” and “guarantees everyone the right to be free of, and protected from, gun violence (i.e., the public’s safety comes ahead of an individual’s right to own and fire a gun).”
In recent years an argument has become popular on the American Liberal Left that the Second Amendment means only that a “well regulated militia” has the right to bear arms, not individuals. The idea is that, say, the State of Georgia can form a militia and arm it accordingly, but individual Georgians have no inherent right to the private ownership of firearms.
In June of 2016, Rolling Stone published an article by David S. Cohen, a law professor who thinks the Second Amendment should be repealed. “The Second Amendment needs to be repealed because it is outdated, a threat to liberty and a suicide pact,” writes Cohen. “When the Second Amendment was adopted in 1791, there were no weapons remotely like the AR-15 assault rifle and many of the advances of modern weaponry were long from being invented or popularized. Now is the time to acknowledge a profound but obvious truth—the Second Amendment is wrong for this country and needs to be jettisoned.”
Liberal gun control, i.e. gun confiscation advocates want to know who needs a gun like an AR-15. Then they tack on an “assault” rifle to make it sound so menacing and dangerous. The reality is any weapon — any type of gun, knife, club, etc. can be an assault weapon. From their leftist seat of moral and judicial superiority, they want to know how many rounds do you need to be able to fire per minute to kill a deer, or ward off a burglar? Does anyone really need a 25-round magazine? Isn’t the only reason for such firepower to make killing people as efficient as possible? Isn’t this a weapon of war? Why would American civilians need to own weapons of war?
This, in one sense, is precisely the right question to ask. The Second Amendment, after all, doesn’t recognize our right to hunt deer or protect ourselves from criminals. Owning guns certainly makes doing those things easier, but it’s not why the Founders bothered to codify gun rights. They were getting at something else—the right of revolution. Simply put, the purpose of the Second Amendment is to give the people the means to overthrow the government in the event it becomes tyrannical.
Economist Walter E. Williams reminds why the Founding Fathers considered it necessary to draft the Second Amendment — not as something that allows free Americans to hunt, but to ensure a well-armed citizenry that is free to defend itself from a government that seeks to destroy their liberties.
Moore’s proposal: I, Michael Moore, along with all who support an end to this epidemic of gun violence, propose a new Amendment to our Constitution that repeals the ancient and outdated 2nd Amendment (which was written before bullets and revolvers were even invented), and replaces it with a new 28th Amendment that guarantees States can have State militias (a.k.a. State National Guards which are made up of citizen-soldiers who are called upon in times of natural disasters or other State emergencies), allows individuals to use guns for sport and gathering food, and guarantees everyone the right to be free of, and protected from, gun violence (i.e., the public’s safety comes ahead of an individual’s right to own and fire a gun).
This amendment would allow states and the federal government to pass laws that would regulate gun ownership in the following manner:
- As over 90% of gun violence is committed by men, in order for a man to purchase a gun, he must first get a waiver from his current wife, plus his most recent ex-wife, or any woman with whom he is currently in a relationship (if he’s gay, he must get the waiver from his male spouse/partner).
- All automatic and semi-automatic guns are banned.
- No gun or clip can hold more than 6 bullets.
- To activate a gun for it to be used, the trigger must recognize the fingerprint of its registered owner. This will eliminate most crimes committed with a gun as 80% of these crimes are done with a stolen gun.
- One’s guns must be stored at a licensed gun club or government-regulated gun storage facility. Believing that having a gun in your home provides you with protection is an American myth. People who die from a home invasion make up a sad but minuscule .04% of all gun murders in the US. And over a third of them are killed by their own gun that the criminal has either stolen or wrestled from them.
- To own and operate a gun one must obtain a license (like one does to operate a car). To get a license you have to complete a gun training and safety course and pass a thorough background check.
- As nearly half of all gun deaths are suicides, mental health care must become a top national health priority and must be properly funded. And by making it more difficult to purchase a gun – and requiring its storage outside the home – easy access during a suicidal moment is denied.
These are a few of the regulations that can be enacted to both protect society yet not deny hunters and sportsmen their fun. This is the sane approach that meets everyone’s needs — everyone, that is, except those of the serial killer, the mass murderer, the violent ex-husband, the disgruntled employee or the disturbed and bullied teenager. We will never eliminate all murder; that’s been with us since Cain killed Abel. But we CAN join the community of enlightened nations where gun violence is that rare occurrence — as opposed to the daily tragedy we now suffer here in the United States of America. This can come to an end with the repeal of the 2nd Amendment and replacing it with the 28th Amendment.”
Please, no more of this Moore’s leftist solutions for all of us ignorant, God-fearing, flag-honoring, freedom-loving, Big-government opposing, Constitutionalist!
Wade Trimmer has been in full-time Christian service since 1971, thirty-five of those years as a senior pastor. He pastored Grace Fellowship of Augusta for 30 of those years.
In 2008, Pastor Wade formed Training for Reigning Institute of Disciple-making, a non-profit organization, for the purpose of equipping leaders, especially in Third World countries in being more effective in carrying out the Great Commission (Visit website:TRIDM.org). The past 9 years have taken Pastor Wade outside the USA to more than 25 different nations.
He is the author of 46 books, a conference speaker and leader of international mission’s training. He is married to Anne and they have three grown children, five grandchildren, and five great grandchildren. They are members of Grace Fellowship of Augusta, Georgia and make their home in North Augusta, South Carolina.