Quite a few medical experts have come out against the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s ridiculously strict guidelines for summer camps for kids, labeling it as “virtue signaling” at best, and “cruel” at worst.
The CDC tossed out these guidelines for young kids and teenagers planning to attend summer camps just a month ago, with the alleged goal being to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Scientists, along with other experts ripped the standards saying they ignore the latest science around COVID and are unnecessarily hard on young people.
JAMA Pediatrics editor-in-chief and epidemiologist Dimitri Christakis said that the rules are “unfairly draconian” and that “keeping children masked for activities like baseball and tennis is ridiculous.”
“We should let kids be close and play, he said. And with rapid testing twice a week on a rolling basis, a relatively easy program to conduct, he added, we should be able to forgo masks. Even without testing, Christakis said that sports like soccer should be able to be done without masks,” New York Magazine said in their report.
Columbia University pediatric immunologist Mark Gorelik said that any rule mandating that children must be masked while outside in 90-degree weather is indefensible.
“We know that the risk of outdoor infection is very low. We know risks of children becoming seriously ill or even ill at all is vanishingly small. And most of the vulnerable population is already vaccinated. I am supportive of effective measures to restrain the spread of illness. However, the CDC’s recommendations cross the line into excess and are, frankly, senseless. Children cannot be running around outside in 90-degree weather wearing a mask. Period,” Gorelik stated.
Another infectious-disease expert who works underneath Dr. Anthony Fauci at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, who previously promoted the guidelines for summer camps came out swinging against them.
“With staff and parents vaccinated, there is no reason to continue incredibly strict mitigation efforts or put severe limitations on activities,” the anonymous official stated. “Charitably, masking kids at camp outdoors is simply virtue signaling. Requiring kids to continuously wear masks at camps, even while outside playing in the heat, when it provides little additional protection is unfair and cruel to our children. Considering that children are at incredibly low risk for developing severe illness, the minimal benefits of mask wearing do not outweigh the substantial costs of discouraging children to be active and their overall health.”
Just so you can see for yourself how silly these guidelines are, here are a few of them:
- Wearing masks at all times, with a few exceptions including while eating, swimming or napping. The mask requirement applies to vaccinated staff as well as campers.
- Each camper should have more than one clean mask available every day.
- Establishment, when possible, of cohorts of staff and campers who will stay together throughout the day.
- Minimum distance of 3 feet between campers of the same cohort, 6 feet between everyone else. Cohort members should maintain 6-foot distancing while they are eating and other times when masks are off.
- Campers should be outside as much as possible.
- No mixing or interaction with the general public during trips beyond the camp.
- Adult staffers, family members and any campers or juvenile staffers eligible for the COVID vaccine should get it, with their last shot at least two weeks before arrival at camp.
- Those not vaccinated should be tested before arrival at camp and again three to five days after arrival.
The fear mongering with this crap is hitting absurd levels. Most of us out here in the real world are aware of the insanity, but there’s a large chunk of folks who are still terrified of this virus and the government knows just which buttons to push to keep them scared and abusing the authority they have stripped away from them.